Sunday, August 21, 2005

The nun with shining diamonds for eyes

She was one tough little lady, that’s for sure. As a little girl she knew Chimey Dorje, Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche’s father who lived the Sanctuary of Great Bliss (Dechen Ling). And of course she knew Chimey Dorje’s family, including Tulku Urgyen whom she served during his stays at the hermitage. After the “Cultural” revolution put an end to spiritual practice in Tibet and Kham, Ani Jangchub remained behind, hiding in the caves and continuing her practice. The couple of days Marcia and I spent there, a special experience was to see the inner beauty that shone through her face as she daily would come and just hang out in our room, ask a few questions, give a few answers herself, but most sit still as a little sweet bird. There was a look and a brightness in her eyes that repeated caught me by surprise, at once sorrowful and detached, at peace in her grimy outfit. Propably the poorest and rishest person alive. She was happy to see us while she didn't know us at all. The tears in her eyes at times must have been from fond memories. Her last words: “Tell Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche that I was just left behind here and will never see him again in this life.”

3 comments:

pensum said...

what a beautiful picture of an obviously beautiful woman -- thanks erik, for it and the story. it is so easy to get swept up in the magnificence surrounding tulkus and popular lamas, but as the years pass i find myself more and more inspired -- and in sheer awe -- of these unknown practitioners who merely out of confidence in the Dharma have humbly dedicated themselves to practice. working on Tulku Urgyen's memoirs with you really brought the teachings down to earth for me as suddenly everyone had a very human face. Even their "failings," instead of disappointing me or shaking my faith, only strengthened Rinpoche's words that enlightenment is possible in this very lifetime -- even for schlep like me.

Anonymous said...

I finished reading the book three nights ago (I was reading it on retreat). It is the best Buddhist book I've read since Cutting Through Spritual Materialism by Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche. (I read that book when I was 18. I just turned 49..ouch!). I loved reading it. I laughed pretty hard too Funny stories (and good teachings) !
I loved the story about "the yogi who lived in the hollow of a tree." He wore a bib??
Anyway, I left the book with some friends of mine in Crestone, CO because I finished it. They tell me their Buddhist neighbors are coming over to read a few pages at a time.
A friend of mine who I saw at Yondzin Rinpoche's belated wedding reception last Friday (in Boulder) told me he just finished reading the book. He loved it.
Let me know if they turn it into a movie.
Rob

Anonymous said...

Hello Marcia and Eric,
Thank you so very much for this precious book. It's in the top 5 most important books I've ever read. Each page is pure transmission.
Blessings to both of you.

Jeremy